LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Summer Bounty and Fall / Winter Planning and Planting


Lots and lots of cucumbers lately, including the adorable Mexican Sour Gherkins. They look like tiny watermelons and have a snappy crunch and a little citrus tang. The vines are delicate, with lots of those curly climbing springs.

And many many beans, green, yellow, and purple. I have put the word out and neighbors have come to my aid to bail me out.


But even though I am kind of drowning in vegetables recently, I started some seeds for fall and winter harvesting. I usually wait to late to do this, but I hope it is early enough for these plants to get a good head start before the weather turns cool. Considering our recent string of hundred degree plus days, it is taxing my imagination to invision the weather cooling. But we know it will. It always does.

Kale, Cabbage, Lettuces, Beets, Rapini, Gai Lan, Onions, Chard

I planted all of the above in a seed starting tray and after only 3 or 4 days some of the sprouts are emerging. I'll direct seed some more carrots, peas, onions, and lots of lettuce. Whatever we can't keep up with will be enjoyed by the hens.

Now it's time to start planning ways to protect these plants so they can stretch out into the fall and winter. I expect some of them will make it to next spring.

I've tried cold frames and hoop houses with varying degrees of success. The hoop house creates a look perfectly complimented by a car up on blocks, an above ground pool and a trampoline. This was my husbands least favorite solution. Someday I'd like to have a real greenhouse.

No comments: