LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Event of the Season, Big Plant Sale

First weekend in May is when the Master Gardeners Spring Garden Fair happens. My sister in law and I go together, as we have every year that I've lived here. We don't take anybody with us; we cannot spare the space in the car. We take a big wagon and usually fill it up a couple of times, before we run out of money.

This is where I get my tomato, pepper, and eggplant starts. And I always manage to find plants I didn't realize I NEED.

The plants are great and the people watching is terrific.
We love to see the contraptions people bring to haul plants.


Some folks are really committed.




























Others, not so much.













Anything with wheels will work.












































I look forward to this event all year with relish. It signals the real start of the gardening season for me. And it usually starts to rain as soon as we get home with our plants. This year the only difference was the intensity of the rain. It bucketed and the wind howled. All plants got a good pummeling.

It rained fiercely again yesterday and it's raining now, but much more gently. Rain is in the forecast for the next few days. That is the way of things. April showers bring May...
showers.

No matter. At least it's warmer and the ground can store up all this moisture for the scorching days ahead. Please tell me there will be scorching days ahead.

No comments: