LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Borage Brings in the Bees

This winter as I flipped through the pages of my seed catalogs over and over I had bees on the brain. I'd been reading about CCD (colony collapse disorder) and all of the cascading problems that might result from a lack of bees. I knew I needed to make an effort to lure bees into my garden.

I settled on borage as an experimental addition and bee bait. It took a while to get going, but now I have several of these beautiful plants throughout my garden and they are always full of bees.

The other plant the bees seem to love is Oregano once it hace flowered. I have a large patch of Oregano that was planted last summer. This hardy plant wurvived the winter and is now host to hundreds of bees on it's tiny white flowers. I will always make a place for this Oregano in my garden.

No comments: