LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Trouble in Tom Town

My tomato plants look hideous!
They're setting fruit, but the just look scraggly and sparse and not at all healthy. At first I thought I might have some blight from not mulching sufficiently before some big rainstorms, splashing fungus and junk onto the plants. But now, after some consult with the BQ (Bean Queen) it may just be plain old poor soil.

I thought I had added enough compost, I grew a cover crop and turned it in before planting. I fertilized. Maybe it just takes a little more to reverse 30 years under a sheet of concrete.

We'll get tomatoes, just not as many as I was hoping for. Gardening, it's a crapshoot.
So yesterday was the first officially ripe tomato, a Sungold. Delicious, but will there be enough?


Blueberries are ripe for picking. I went to a U-Pick farm with my neighbors. We hauled in about 20 lbs worth. Get out the blueberry muffin recipe.

No comments: