LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

LOCAL. SEASONAL. SUSTAINABLE.

Monday, March 24, 2008

In Between the Showers

Peas are coming up, shelling peas, snap pea pods and sweet peas for flowers. The rapini and spinach are doing well under the cold frames.

I got 2 cubic yards of mushroom compost and spread it around the garden beds just before we got another round of rains. I'm ready for March to Leave Like a Lamb, as they say.

In the mini greenhouse the raddicchio has just sprouted, 3 kinds. I'm very excited about this. I know most people don't grow raddicchio, let alone 3 varieties, it's just so beautiful and good in salads and on the grill. But being cheap I couldn't stand paying $6.99 for a wild cousin of lettuce. It's a chicory actually. Here's an article from Gourmet Magazine about the man who grows more raddicchio than anyone in the world.
How To Tame A Wildflower

No comments: